Once upon a time, in a world without mortgages, ballet recitals, budget cuts at work, or a slowing metabolism, there lived a young girl who dreamed of changing the world through her writing. Anything was possible. She even thought it wise to take out $40,000 for a journalism degree (Shout out to Newhouse! Go ‘Cuse!).
So I’m still paying off my student loans, and I’m not a writer. This highlights just one of the many instances of how UNwise I am. (Let’s not go so far as to call me foolish…let’s just go with “misguided.”) But those are for previous and future posts to address. So where was I? Oh yeah, so I took a different career path: psychotherapy, research, marketing. Paths, I took paths (and more student loans), and none of it was writing.
But there is still something about writing that speaks to me, pulls at my heartstrings. I always loved it, and always missed it. There are some things I want that I shouldn’t have (more cake, bad boys, the 7th shot of whiskey). But then there are those things that speak to me that I need, to give me life–things I want that I can have or do (long runs, new shoes, guiding people to actualize their potential). Turns out writing is one of those things that feeds my soul.
So that is one of the reasons why this blog was born. It’s a small, humble thing. Sometimes it’s funny, sometimes thoughtful, sometimes angry. But always me. At first only a handful of friends read it (Another shout out: Thank you Friends! Drinks on me!). Most days I think that’s still true (And yes, I’ll still buy a round).
So I was floored and so honored to be nominated for the Blog of the Year 2012 Award from fellow blogger You’re Just A DumbAss, who I admire. She is so real and grounded and genuine. Her daily courage to be so authentic in such an open forum is inspiring. Her thoughts and experiences resonate with honesty, and leaves you laughing so much that sometimes, if you were a middle-aged mother of two, peeing just a little in your pants. Or so I’ve heard. So my blog not only feeds my soul, but it has also broadened my horizons to connect me to such amazing people. And that one person was touched by my writing so much as to recognize me–I am so grateful, so humbled, so truly honored. I am one lucky, albeit misguided, girl.
And for those of you keeping track of things like oh, the year…I am well aware it is now 2013. I’ve been a little busy…so let’s just call this a re-cap of 2012. A reflection if you will. A retrospective perhaps? Well, no matter. I was nominated and I’m not giving it back! So the ‘rules’ for this award are simple:
- Select another blog(s) who deserve the ‘‘Blog of the Year 2012 Award”;
- Write a blog post and tell us about the blog(s) you have chosen – there’s no minimum or maximum number of blogs required – and ‘present’ them with their award;
- Include a link back to this page ‘Blog of the Year 2012’ Award at the Thought Palette and provide these ‘rules’ in your post (please don’t alter the rules or the badges!)
- Let the blog(s) you have chosen know that you have given them this award and share the ‘rules’ with them
- You can now also join our Facebook group – click ‘like’ on this page ‘Blog of the Year 2012’ Award Facebook group and then you can share your blog with an even wider audience.
- As a winner of the award – please add a link back to the blog that presented you with the award – and then proudly display the award on your blog and sidebar … and start collecting stars…
So I nominate a really smart, witty, genuine, and kind blogger: http://mommyverbs.wordpress.com/