Huge THANKS to mommyverbs for nominating my blog for the Liebster Award!! I feel a great connection with mommyverbs—she’s witty and funny and wise. Through words posted on the interwebs, I feel a quiet calmness and strength about her that speaks to a level of resiliency, and can tell she’s also quite fierce and can open up a good can o’ whoop-ass when necessary. In any event, you should check her blog out.
So, to accept this award, I need to:
1) Share 11 random facts about me
2) Answer 11 questions posed to me.
3) Nominate 11 bloggers and tell them. No tag-backs.
4) Give them 11 questions to answer
Ready for over-sharing?
Facts About Me:
1. When I was 18, my friends tried to sell me into a marriage contract to a Serbian nightclub owner in NYC–$20,000 for his green card. I am not friends with them anymore.
2. I’m afraid of the dark and of heights.
3. I can’t swim. Not even doggy paddle. Or float. In fact, if you throw me in the water I will promptly sink. When I am out in open waters, I make sure I am with people who are fond enough of me to throw some sort of flotation device in my general direction, should I fall in.
4. My eye fell out. OK, I MAY be a little dramatic here, but I did almost go blind in one eye, and didn’t even get a good eye patch for all the trouble (I really wanted one with a rhinestone-encrusted skull and crossbones, but the opthamologist refused to humor me). For no good reason (no head trauma, no drunken brawl), a few years ago my retina detached slowly over the course of a week. Then within hours my field of vision turned black. That sucked.
5. Household chores I hate the most: folding laundry and emptying out the dishwasher.
Some days the dread is enough to make me consider getting remarried.
6. My last name really isn’t my family name. It is the family name of the people who kidnapped my paternal grandfather and raised him as their own. True story.
7. I do not hesitate to publicly blame my kids for anything to absolve myself of blame (baked goods that don’t look so hot, burps and farts, messy house, tardy arrivals…you get the picture). I have no shame and I freely admit it.
8. Couldn’t run a mile until I was almost 30. Today, my long runs a couple times a week are 11 miles. There is no greater power than believing in yourself.
9. I can’t watch a movie that’s based on a book—I need to maintain my personal vision of how people and things look and sound, as opposed to a director’s vision.
10. I have well over 120 pairs of shoes.
11. I have always hated my first name. No one ever spells it or pronounces it correctly. And I’ve always thought it sounds and feels clunky. It was also a lot of bubbles to fill in on standardized tests. AND it is never printed on keychains, cups or other crappy kid-junk that stores sell. As a kid, that mattered!
Answers to the 11 questions are:
What is your favorite quote? From Mary Oliver’s “When Death Comes”
“When it’s over, I want to say: all my life
I was a bride married to amazement.
I was a bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.
When it’s over, I don’t want to wonder
if I have made of my life something particular, and real.
I don’t want to find myself sighing and frightened
or full of argument.
I don’t want to end up simply having visited this world.”
Also really love this from her: “Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift.”
What is your favorite season? Fall
What is one of your hobbies? Running
What is your favorite flavor of ice cream? Chocolate, and if you throw in some chunks of anything covered in chocolate I’ll commit a crime for you.
What is one piece of advice you’d like to share with the world? Say what you mean, mean what you say.
What is your biggest dream? To somehow make a living incorporating writing, cooking, baking and providing psychotherapy together in some sort of service or establishment…with really good live music playing in the background and really good alcohol flowing. If I interpret this question to be asking “What do I strive for?” then it would be that I raise my children to be kind, smart people who do good deeds and make a difference in this world.
Who is your favorite superhero/heroine? Wonder Woman. But her invisible plane always threw me for a loop (Where did she park it? Why didn’t anyone ever bump into something so large? Can’t people SEE her in the invisible plane? Nowhere did it say the plane made all occupants invisible! In fact, in the cartoons, you can see her sitting in the invisible plane!), and her truth lasso was cheesy, as were her metal wrist shields. But there was something about her that made me twirl in circles week after week, until I fell down and threw up, hoping in vain to turn into Wonder Woman.
What is the movie you watch in the middle of the night when you can’t sleep? Sorry, this is a boring answer: none. I usually don’t get to bed until about 1am, and only have about 4 or 5 hours before I have to wake and start the day, so there aren’t any nights I can’t sleep. Once I couldn’t sleep, but some good wine promptly took care of that…
Who is your favorite famous person and why? Tina Fey. She’s smart and funny and authentic.
What is the first of your favorite songs that you think of … right…. now!? “Change” by Churchill: “To make you want me I can fabricate the truth. I’ll give you easy, It’ll keep me destitute…”
What is your favorite flavor/brand of wine? (Or drink of choice?) Malbecs, Shiraz’s, some Pinot Noirs. Especially from Chile, Argentina or Spain. My new fave: Broquel (Argentinian Malbec)—To. Die. For.
And now the Liebster Awards Go To:
OK, I know I’m supposed to list 11 blogs. But see, the point of the Liebster is to recognize up and coming blogs, with less than 200 followers who deserve recognition and support to keep blogging. I apparently only follow much larger blogs–I need to devote more time to finding amazing small blogs to support! Duly noted.
But their list of questions are still really good:
1. What is your greatest fear?
2. What is your favorite childhood memory?
3. Diamonds or pearls? Can’t say both.
4. Biggest impractical splurge was:
5. What did you want to be when you were little? Mission accomplished?
6. Your worst quality:
7. Name 3 items you would want if you were stuck on a deserted island:
8. Quick: tell the first joke that comes to mind RIGHT NOW:
9. What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to you?
10. If you could have any job in the world, what would it be?
11. What is on your nightstand right now?
Thanks for sharing, with a side of humor.
Fewer calories than a side of fries-
And much tastier!
I’m working on creating a page to post this honor. Thanks, again!
Can’t wait to see it!! 🙂
Love your blog! I cannot figure out how you fit so much in any given day. Now I have a hint – four to five hours sleep! Humm, do not think I could do that. You are a smart person who does make a difference.
Lots of wine helps too 🙂 I barely prop myself up each day, and am certainly not the most pleasant person you’ve ever met, ha! Thank you Nora always for your support and wise words.
Wow! Thank you so much for nominating me! I am truly flattered! Hope 2013 will be your best year yet!
Thanks, I hope 2013 is amazing for you too!! 2012 so far has been one of my very best years, so if 2013 can top it, I’ll be grateful! BTW–every time I have an online dating fail I think of you and have a compulsion to tell you about them!!
Thanks so much for your support! I really appreciate it! I know 2013 is gonna be big for both of us!!!
LOL!!! Please do it! Share your stories with me! 😉